Our rules are shared to make riding in a group safer and more enjoyable. In an ideal world, we would not need any rules – we’d all ride with due regards for others and for ourselves – but it helps to make things clear.
As a member or guest of Hastings & St.Leonards cycling club, you participate in club runs, rides or training sessions entirely at your own risk. You must accept responsibility for your own conduct and safety at all times, including the roadworthiness, safety and security of your bike and equipment.
We strongly recommend you take out appropriate third-party insurance such as that offered through membership of British Cycling or Cycling UK. ‘RIDE’ membership of British Cycling provides 3rd party liability insurance worth up to £10m, legal support, travel insurance and other benefits. You also get discounts at Halfords and Chain Reaction Cycles, and also reduced bike insurance. You should easily save the cost of your membership in a year. RIDE membership is fine unless you want to race. If you want to race, you will need RACE membership.
- Please do as the ride organiser or ride captain tells you. They are experienced in group riding and in organising rides; they have your safe enjoyment uppermost in their minds.
- Wear a helmet on club rides – Wearing a helmet is not a legal requirement but we recommend them for all club rides. They are compulsory for the chain gang, road races, off-road and for juniors under 16. If you do not wear one, that is at your risk and not the club’s. See below.
- Try not to ride like an idiot – others on the ride will let you know if you are; don’t take it personally and we all make mistakes.
- Please obey the Highway Code at all times, unless your safety is at risk e.g. going over a stop line to avoid being hit by a car.
- Please be polite to other road users, even if they are not polite to you! Remember that they may be driving a two-ton metal box and all you have around you is a thin layer of lycra – there is only one winner. Politeness to other club members is optional but desirable.
- Learn how to ride in a group: the hand signals; taking turns on the front; communicating; and, riding smoothly. This all takes practice and is very rewarding when you gain the skills!
- Pay your membership fee on time. If you do not pay you will be removed from the email list and the Facebook page. You will not be entitled to ride with us.
Regarding helmets, please consider the impact on the people around you who might have to deal with your serious head injury – many of us have had our skull saved by a helmet and will not ride without one.
‘RIDE’ membership of British Cycling very usefully provides 3rd party liability insurance worth up to £10m, legal support, travel insurance and other benefits: membership of British Cycling. You also get discounts at Halfords and Chain Reaction Cycles, and also reduced bike insurance. You should easily save the cost of your membership in a year.
There is specific guidance for some of the rides we organise. This is shared with members as required e.g. if you start riding the Chain Gang. You should follow this advice for your safety and the safety of those you ride with.